Hey look! A breakfast recipe on a Monday, it's just like old times. :)
This is the first time I have ever made any kind of (non-Pillsbury) cinnamon rolls! I have a bunch of cinnamon roll recipes, but I knew I wanted to start with something a little on the easier side. These were a perfect first effort! They were fairly easy, and only required 1 hour and 15 minutes for rising time. They taste amazing, too! I love the glaze, especially. I'm not a huge fan of thick frosting on cinnamon rolls, and tend to err towards glazes just like this one :). Oh, and they make your house smell amazing. So, you know, there's that.
Anyway, try these cinnamon rolls! The sour cream gives them a little something special, Michael and I loved them, and they're pretty simple to make!
Sour Cream Cinnamon Rolls
Adapted slightly from Sugar Plum's "Easy Sour Cream Cinnamon Rolls"
Makes about 12 rolls
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar + 2 tbsp.
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup low fat sour cream
- 2 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. low fat sour cream
- Whisk warm water, yeast, and 1 tsp. granulated sugar in a large bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tbsp. granulated sugar, 1 egg, 1/3 cup sour cream, 1 tbsp. melted butter, and the baking powder and the salt.
- Stir in flour until combined and a dough ball forms. Lightly cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Once risen, roll dough out into a thin rectangle on a floured surface, with a floured rolling pin.
- Brush dough with 1 tbsp. melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on top.
- Roll dough up and slice into 12 pieces (using unflavored dental floss may help with this step).
- Place on a large, greased, cookie sheet. Lightly cover and rise in a warm area for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush risen rolls with remaining 1/2 tbsp. melted butter. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack/serving platter.
- Mix 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, and 2 tbsp. sour cream until combined. Drizzle over cinnamon rolls.