'Tis the season for Kayle to try out more hot chocolate recipes!!!
Generally, I eat whatever I want, regardless of the time of year. But hot chocolate...well....it's hard to muster up the energy to drink it when it's hot outside (excluding my beloved Max Brenner's hot chocolate....I'll drink that wherever, whenever!) BUT! It's cold! And nothing sounds nicer when you're shivering in your apartment because your landlord doesn't turn the heat on half the time, than a nice big mug of hot cocoa.
*(in my opinion)
Has it happened? Have I found a homemade hot chocolate recipe that lives up to Max Brenner's??!
BUT it is deliciously full of dark chocolate flavor. And creamy. And rich. And as good as any other homemade recipe I've made thus far (with the exception of maybe this one, and def. excepting the s'mores hot cocoa...but that's just because of s'mores), with the added bonus of being QUICK and eeeeeasy to make! And, woot woot, no extra dishes!
Now, put on your slippies (or as some of you lame people might say, slippers), a warm robe, your fave jammies, and cuddle up with a big warm mug of this hot chocolate. Maybe watch some My Fair Wedding on Netflix. Or 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family. Yeah...that's a good day.
Hot Chocolate in a Microwave-for One
Makes one 8-10 oz. mugIngredients:
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips or small chunks (whatever you prefer. I used dark chocolate chips)
- 1-2 tbsp. COLD water (just enough to just about cover the chocolate)
- Scant (just under) 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 6-8 oz. (approximately) milk or water
- In a microwave safe mug, combine chocolate and cold water.
- Microwave on high for 15 seconds.
- Let sit for 2 minutes (DO NOT STIR).
- After the 2 minutes, stir thoroughly to create a smooth chocolate sauce. (If there are any unmelted bits, microwave for another 5 seconds or so and stir--don't panic if not perfectly smooth.)
- Add cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt. Stir until lumps are gone.
- While stirring, slowly pour in enough milk or water to fill your mug.
- Microwave, on high, to desired temperature (1-2 minutes, probably. Keep an eye to prevent it from boiling over.)
- Stir and serve! Add marshmallows (toasted?) or whipped cream, if desired. Or stir in some peanut butter, nutella, liquor, etc.
DAT. MALLOWY, COCOA-Y GOOOOODNESSSSS!
Disclaimer: This post contains Affiliate links.