A dish that is an entire meal. Side dish, veggie, meat and all.
It's just so convenient!
A few weeks back I mentioned I did a promo job at the Book Expo. In addition to seeing a few celebrities (Michael Bolton, Jane Seymour, Chris Colfer...), there were a lot of different booths with a lot of different stuff. But, you know the things that got me really excited? ALL THE COOKBOOKS! I was so excited when I went to the America's Test Kitchen booth and-in addition to some little pamphlets-I got an advanced, un-edited copy of The America's Test Kitchen Quick Family Cookbook! It is chock full of quick, simple, and delicious recipes! The only thing I'm not in love with, from the book, is all the shortcuts. I'd much rather make things from scratch. So, I adapted this recipe a bit (i.e. making biscuits from normal ingredients, not Bisquick). I can't wait to try out a bunch more stuff from my wonderful, free, cookbook :D
Oh, and this chicken and biscuits recipe? Awesome. The biscuits taste delicious, and add just the right amount of flavor to the rest of the dish. Michael really liked this, and so did I! And so will you!
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tbsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup cold chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 oz.) Gruyere or cheddar cheese, shredded
- herbs and pepper, to taste.
- 1 pound leeks-white and light green parts only. Halved lengthwise, sliced thin, and washed thoroughly (there's sand in there so seriously...wash thoroughly!)
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 1/2 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie or using the method here)
- 1 cup frozen peas or corn, thawed
- Salt and pepper
- Place oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- In measuring cup mix melted butter with cold chicken broth. This will make the butter form little semi-solid globules.
- Stir butter/broth, cheese, and any herbs/pepper you wish with the dry ingredients.
- Form 12 even mounds of dough (I came out with 9, I should've made them smaller) and plop them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake until puffed and just lightly browned on the bottoms, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside
- Combine leeks and oil in a 12 in. skillet over medium-high heat until softened and lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in flour and garlic and cook about 1 minute, until lightly browning.
- Gradually whisk in broth and cream/milk, making sure to scrape any bits off bottom and smooth out lumps. Simmer until thickened (5 minutes or so).
- Stir in shredded chicken and peas/corn. Turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease 9 x 13 baking pan and transfer chicken mixture into the dish.
- Place biscuits on top.
- Bake at 450 degrees until filling is bubbly and biscuits are brown, for 10-13 minutes.
- Cool slightly and serve.