So, the school season is upon us. I know many of you are either in school, or have children in school, so your whole lives are totally different right now than they were a month ago. It's so crazy for me to realize it's been 4 years since I started a new school year. 6 years since high school. Gah! I feel old. But I still have very distinct memories from those school years. Here are some things I learned:
- Don't bring baloney and peanut butter sandwiches to school. It's weird and the other kids WILL mock you.
- If you do something consistently, that will become your thing and reflect on you. My hair was oftentimes in a ponytail so I was told that I was essentially Patty from Grease. Because she always had a ponytail.
- Some kids will eat paper...and somehow that will be viewed as OK and cool.
- Popular groups form earlier than you may think. 3rd grade for my school-and it was a like, conscious effort. While it formed I asked if I could be in it and was told, no, because I had a Barbie lunchbox.
- Girl Scouts are fun. If you're a girl, JOIN! They're especially fun if your mom is a troop leader.
- Even though you may not be able to tell it at the time, some of these friends you have, you may end up like...adoring in the future. One of my main grade school friends who, I thought, was drifting away from me and thought she was too cool, and then transferred to a different high school. I thought that was the end for us. But then she moved to NYC and now we're really close and we have tons of fun getting all nostalgic about the old days. A ton of my mom's close friends she's known since grade school too. Craziness.
- Treats in lunchboxes=best part of the day.
And then they went in the lunch.
So, what are we working with here?
We have a thick, chewy, peanut butter cookie base, topped with ooey gooey chocolate fudge, and then a wonderful top crust of Butterfinger candy bars. MMMmmm!! I don't know about you guys but I LOVE Butterfingers. I mean they're pb and chocolate. I remember being obsessed with them when I was young and constantly picking em out of my teeth...tell me you don't know what I'm talking about :P.
Butterfinger Fudge Cookie Bars
From Shugary Sweets
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 and 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (not the natural, oily kind)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 and 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 12 oz. milk chocolate (chips or chopped up bar)
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 (8 oz.) bags Butterfinger bites, crushed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 15x10x1" baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat butter and sugar in a medium-large bowl. Mix in peanut butter. Beat in egg and milk. Then slowly mix in the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Press dough into prepared pan (dip fingers in flour to help you press the dough, it will be sticky).
- Bake 15-18 minutes until lightly golden. Let cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat warm sweetened condensed milk until warm-hot. Turn off the heat and whisk in the chocolate until melted, combined, and smooth.
- Pour the fudge over the cookie layer and smooth it evenly over.
- Top with crushed Butterfingers and press lightly into the fudge. Cool completely, then cut.