Me and savory popcorn are broken up.
I know! I know. No one's sadder than me. But we had a good run. I used to eat microwaved popcorn daily (or at least weekly). I was known to scarf down a large bucket of the buttery stuff at the movies. I literally purchased a new microwave in my first apartment because the one that came with the place wasn't large enough to pop popcorn. But in the past few years...we've grown apart. I already had to give up movie popcorn after I got sick more than a couple times from it. I lost my craving for the microwave kind (even after I found a way to do it homemade). I found a new popcorn love...sweet popcorns. Chocolate and caramel corns, those have been bringing me nothing but joy. But when I heard of browned butter on popcorn...I knew I had to try to rekindle mine and savory popcorn's love. But alas...it was not to be. After a couple (delectable) bites...I no longer wanted any more. And my stomach protested the entire thing. I had a headache and was nauseous for the rest of the night.
I don't know why, but this same thing happened with eggs. I ate too much of a thing and now..it makes me sick. I don't know why. But I have to accept my sad fate. Because let's face it...if browned butter popcorn can't fix it....nothing can.
Anyway...my stupid palate/belly aside. Let's discuss.
BROWNED BUTTER POPCORN, people!!!
I mean...how did this never occur to me until now? It's so genius! Maybe I got sick later, but those first couple bites...mmm they were buttery, nutty, heavenly popcorn goodness.
Browned Butter Popcorn
Adapted from goodlife eats' "Browned Butter Rosemary Popcorn"
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 4 tbsp. (or 1/4 cup) butter, browned
- salt, to taste
- Pop the popcorn using preferred method (you can try this or pop with 1/2 a tbsp. oil in a large pot/Dutch oven on the stove.) Place in a large bowl.
- To brown the butter: in a small, preferably light colored, saucepan melt butter over medium heat and whisk constantly as it foams and bubbles and small specks of brown form.
- Immediately pour over popcorn and stir/toss to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle with salt, toss again.
The moral of the story is: you need to eat this popcorn for me, so I can live vicariously through you.