I've been craving a particular kind of roll. The kind that is crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. This is the absolute perfect recipe for that sort of roll. AND it's sort of super easy to make (and no knead)! WE'RE IN A WIN-WIN SITUATION HERE, PEOPLE!
They also lent themselves to Michael's caveman sensibilities--you can just grab them and tear into them like the savage he is. Or, you can be a lady* like me and cut them in half and butter them before delicately** eating them.
*In spite of etiquette classes and countless reprimands from my parents...I don't eat like a lady.
**shoving into your mouth whole.
No-Knead Crusty Bread Rolls
Makes 8 rolls.
Note-You can use the same amount of active dry yeast instead of the instant/rapid rise yeast. Just let the yeast sit in the warm water for 5 minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- 2 and 1/2 cups (11.3 oz.) bread flour
- 1/2 tsp. rapid rise (or instant) yeast
- 1 tsp. table salt
- 1 and 1/4 cup (10 oz.) warm (NOT HOT!) water
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir until thick and sticky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until puffy and bubbly on top, about 3 hours OR you can let the dough rise overnight in the fridge (if it's not risen enough after being in the refrigerator overnight, then let it sit in a warm place for about an hour, until it has risen).
- Using a dough scraper (or your hands) fold the dough over 12 times, using just enough flour to keep it from sticking too much (you do want the dough to be wet and sticky, so try to not add to much flour).
- Using the scraper, cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Flour your hands and form each piece into a ball.
- Place the dough rolls on a parchment lined large baking sheet and cover loosely with a clean towel. Let rise in a warm place until puffy, about 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees (I highly suggest using an oven thermometer to ensure that your oven is exactly 450F degrees) while the rolls rise.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool a bit and then serve warm.
- Store any leftover rolls in a container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. To regain the crusty outer texture in leftovers, reheat in a 325F oven for 5 minutes from room temperature or about 15 minutes from frozen.
I love bread. Carb queen 4 lyfe.