But...ugh. It is a hassle to make! That is why this recipe is AWESOME! So much quicker and so much easier, it's a gift from the caramel corn gods!
Now, I will say, when it comes down to it: I still prefer my old favorite caramel corn recipe. BUT, like I said-a hassle. This recipe is my new go-to when I have a hankering and I just want to be able to whip up some caramel corn quickly and easily and without such a big mess and with A LOT less dishes! (woot! wooooot!)
Anyway. So. Here's what we've got: pop some popcorn in a brown bag (which we've talked about before), mix up some caramel in the microwave (surprisingly simple!), then-now, prepare yourself, this COULD get messy, make sure your brown paper bag is sturdy!-you pour that caramel in the bag with the popcorn and shake it until it's all coated, THEN microwave, THEEEN shake it, THENTHENTHEN microwave it some more. Then shake it again. Then lay it out and let it cool and harden. TA-DAAAA (or, as the little girl I babysit says "DAAAAAA!") you have caramel corn!!! It's going to be crunchy, but still a little sticky (so be prepared to find delicious leftover morsels in your teeth for the next couple hours :P).
And there you have it: simple! Gotta love a microwave.
Microwave Caramel Popcorn
From Pies and Plots
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (or 8 tbsp. or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- Pour the kernels in a large brown paper bag. Fold the top over and secure with a piece or two of tape. Place in the microwave on the bag's side (with the taped part facing up) and microwave for a couple minutes, until the popping slows down so you can count to 2 or 3 Mississippi's between pops. Take out and carefully open the bag. Remove any unpopped kernels.
- In a medium, microwave safe, bowl place the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, until completely melted and bubbling. Stir.
- Immediately stir vanilla and baking soda into the sugar mixture.
- Pour the combined caramel over the popped popcorn in the brown paper bag-try to keep the caramel in the center, so it doesn't touch the sides of the bag.
- Fold the top of the bag over a couple times and then shake well to coat the popcorn. Microwave on high for 1 and 1/2 minutes.
- Remove bag and shake again. Microwave on high for an additional 1 and 1/2 minutes.
- Pour popcorn onto a large, parchment or wax paper lined, baking sheet and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week (good luck making it last that long!)
mmmmwhaaa?ohhh *gulp* anyway, yeah, hope you guys make this caramel corn, see ya Wednesday!