Wishes and Dishes. But...oh MAN! How brilliant! Crunchy, cheesy crackers on top of your beloved macaroni and cheese! Now...I might have changed the recipe just a smidge in that....I...sort of browned the butter...I KNOW! I couldn't resist! I have a problem guyyssss!
But anyway. So. Let's chat. This mac n cheese is super tasty BUT very thick. It is 100% best eaten the day it is made. This is not a dish where it makes good leftovers. So, I suggest you make this yumminess if you're entertaining or have a decent sized family unit. 2 people is not enough. Nopes. Especially because Michael will forever be loyal to Velveeta, it seems. *martyred sigh*
Anywayyy, give it a try! All those other people you feed will def. be grateful!
Cheez-It Macaroni and Cheese
Slightly adapted from Wishes and Dishes
Makes 12 servings.Ingredients:
- 16 oz. pasta (shells, macaroni, etc. whatever you prefer)
- 1/2 cup (or 1 stick or 8 tbsp.) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups crushed Cheez-it crackers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 9"x13" dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly until little brown flecks form. Immediately whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking frequently, for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until entirely melted.
- Combine cooked pasta, pepper, and cheese sauce. Pour into prepared dish. Spread crushed cheese crackers evenly on top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until evenly heated. Serve!
Now I want Cheez-its.