Remember when I made those crock pot mashed potatoes and told you how it makes enough to feed an army? Well, I found myself with a new experience of having too many leftover mashed potatoes, when the fates aligned that Joy the Baker posted a recipe for mashed potato waffles. And, pretty much as soon as I saw it, I made them. And boy oh boy, am I glad I didn't wait!
I'm a simple gal, so I just at these cheesy, crispy, chewy, potato-y goodness bits of deliciousness by their onesies. But you can totally have some sour cream, salsa, etc. etc. to dip these in. Have a lil potato waffle party! Invite your friends. It's the cool new thing.
Mashed Potato, Cheddar, and Scallion Waffles
Adapted slightly from Joy the Baker
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 3 tbsp. chopped scallions or chives (feel free to adjust this amount to taste)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (omit if using garlic mashed potatoes)
- Cheddar cheese, to top (about 1 cup)
- Brown the butter: In a, preferably light colored, saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk it as it melts, foams, and bubbles, until it eventually turns amber and little brown flecks form. Immediately remove from heat and pour into a medium bowl. Cool until warm (no longer hot).
- Whisk buttermilk and eggs into the slightly cooled browned butter. Stir in potatoes and 2 tbsp. scallions/chives.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and (if using) garlic powder. Add into wet ingredients just until combined-do not overmix!
- Prepare waffle iron according to directions (grease if needed) and cook 1/4 cup batter at a time, until golden on each side (time will vary depending on waffle iron).
- Place cooked waffles on a wire rack to cool.
- When ready to serve, place waffles on a baking sheet and top with cheese. Place under broiler until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining scallions/chives.
- Serve (alone, or with salsa, sour cream, etc etc)!