Mind you, I also fully loved my idea to put some toasted marshmallows and chopped peanuts on top. Although I will admit the peanuts might have made it a bit too chewy...hmmm...not sure. Regardless, I enjoyed it. Still not quite as thick as I'd like, but def. better than almost any version I've tried at home thus far. And Michael said it tasted like a melted candy bar, which is pretty much my meter for if I'm going to like it or not. And if you're a smart cookie like me, then you'll love it too!
Thick Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
From The Sugar Hit
Makes 2 mugs of hot chocolate.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 3 oz chocolate (milk or dark or a combination), coursely chopped
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- Optional garnish-crushed peanuts and mini marshmallows or pretzels and whipped cream
- Mix together the cornstarch with 1 tbsp. of the milk and set aside.
- Combine the remaining milk, cocoa powder, chocolate, and peanut butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Heat slowly, whisking gently and constantly until everything is melted and the mixture is steaming (but not yet boiling).
- Whisk in the cornstarch and heat until the mixture thickens.
- Pour into mugs and garnish as desired. Serve warm!
Mmmmm, the perfect way to warm up on a winter day...