One of my oldest recipes on this blog is still one of my favorites: Just Chicken Pot Pie. It's all the rich yumminess of pot pie without all those yucky vegetables (hehe...). Sooo when I saw the idea of a pot pie pizza I immediately got excited to try it--but a "Just Chicken Pot Pie" version!
I was super due for a new pizza recipe, so this could not have come at a better time. Plus Michael was only luke-warm about it (he felt like it was too bland, which is a common complaint when I make foods that I like lol)---which you may think is a bad thing but NO because it meant MORE PIZZA FOR ME! It's cheesy and rich and chicken-y and just mmmmmmmm mmmmm! (I'm very eloquent about my food, as you can see!)
Just Chicken Pot Pie Pizza
Adapted from Recipe Runner
Makes one pizza.Ingredients:
- 1 lb. pizza dough
- 1 large chicken breast (or 2 smaller ones), cooked and shredded
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- salt and pepper (and other seasonings-such as thyme, garlic powder, etc.), to taste
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or just to taste)
- 1/3 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese (or just to taste)
- (optional) fresh herbs to garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat melt the butter. Once melted, add diced onion and seasonings and saute about 3 minutes, until the onions are softened.
- Add in the flour and stir until combined and then cook for about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the broth and milk, whisking the entire time.
- Cook the sauce, whisking constantly, until thickened (just before it comes to a boil, usually).
- Once thickened, add in the cooked chicken and then turn off from heat (but keep warm).
- Roll out the pizza dough onto a prepared pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Evenly spread the chicken pot pie mixture onto the pizza dough.
- Cover the pizza with the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the edges of the crust are browned.
- Remove from the oven and, if desired, top with fresh herbs.
- Let the pizza rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing it. Serve warm!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.