homemade. And I just adooore the pillowy texture and perfect flavor of it. Regardless, let's chat about the dish as a whole and not just the noodles!
This is essentially a recipe for a small mac'n'cheese-like dish (which is actually lovely because so many of my mac and cheese recipes make way too much for me to eat on my own!) You make a lovely sauce with delicious gruyere (sorta like fancy cheddar?) and fontina (sorta like Parmesan) cheeses. Then it's topped with some Parmesan cheese which-when baked-becomes wonderfully golden brown and a bit crisp-a much needed contrasting texture from the soft gnocchi and rich sauce. It's cheesy and flavorful and like an Italian'd up macaroni and cheese! I absolutely loved it and I think you will too :) A great recipe to serve when having people over for dinner!
Baked Gnocchi & Cheese
Adapted slightly from Noble Pig
- 1 lb. gnocchi (purchased or homemade)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded/grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional-fresh basil leaves, parsley, or chives-to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Spray a 1 and 1/2 qt. shallow baking dish (or 7"x11" casserole dish) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare gnocchi according to directions. Drain and place in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds-until fragrant.
- Whisk in flour until smooth and bubbly.
- Add milk and whisk until it is slightly thickened and bubbly, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add Gruyere and Fontina cheeses, a small handful at a time, waiting until they completely melt before adding the next handful. Once all is melted season to taste.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the gnocchi. Sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano on top.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly-about 25 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Seriously....that gnocchi...all that cheese. Who can resist!?