Forgive me dear friends.
Even taking into account the rushed-ness of this shoot...I mean...just....look at how gorgeous these lava cakes are! They're photogenic, that's for sure! They're just wonderfully chocolatey and full of molten chocolate...and toasted marshmallows....and a buttery graham cracker mixture....mmmm. So rich and heavenly. Ah s'mores desserts. I adore 'em.
I did have to tweak this recipe a bit as it originally said it made three 2-3 oz. ramekins when in actuality I filled up four of my 6 oz. ramekins. Sooo, the recipe below will reflect my personal findings therein.
Really...end of day...a day with s'mores lava cake is 10,000 x better than a day without.
S'mores Lava Cakes
Adapted from Grandbaby Cakes
Makes 4 cakes.
- 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs (I used homemade)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp. butter (if using homemade graham crackers only use 1 tbsp.) + 6 tbsp. butter, divided
- 8 marshmallows
- 3 oz. bittersweet/dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Make crumbs by processing graham crackers in a food processor or blender, or placing in a ziploc bag and crushing with a rolling pin.
- Add graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and 1 and 1/2 tbsp. butter to a small pot and toasting over medium heat for a couple minutes, until golden brown.
- Add marshmallows to a baking pan or cookie sheet and broil in the oven until golden brown-keeping a close eye to avoid burning.
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees and prepare four 6 oz. ramekins by thoroughly greasing the insides with non-stick cooking spray. (Place the ramekins on a cookie sheet to avoid overflow in the oven.)
- Add chocolate and 6 tbsp. butter to a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 20 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted and smooth.
- Whisk flour and powdered sugar into the melted chocolate mixture.
- Whisk in eggs, yolk, and vanilla extract until fully combined.
- Fill each ramekin a little under halfway full with batter. Add 2 toasted marshmallows to each and then evenly distribute toasted graham cracker crumbs over the marshmallows. Spoon remaining batter on top of each ramekin.
- Bake 12-14 minutes. Cool 2 minutes and then run a knife around the edge of each ramekin to help release the cake. Invert cakes on to small plates. Garnish with powdered sugar, fruit, additional graham cracker crumbs, etc.
- Best enjoyed fresh but leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated.
Obsessed with the chocolatey/s'moresy lava-like center!