Can we real talk for a sec?
I feel like I'm drowning. Like I can't keep up with everything going on. I, very seriously, cannot remember ever being this busy in my life. And don't get me wrong-I am having SO much fun! But I feel like I'm constantly behind and failing at stuff around the house. I'm not cleaning so much. And I'm not cooking or baking nearly enough. And the blog is getting hard to keep up with. I feel like I'm running out of recipes to share so I keep trying to come up with other posts and just...it's hard. I really want to keep consistent and keep to our regular posting schedule, but it is getting really difficult to keep up with. I'm thinking/hoping that once summer is over things will let up and I'll have time again, but in the meantime I'm just stressed. Mostly because I feel like I'm failing. Like I'm not taking good enough care of Michael or the house and like I'm supposed to be the girl who is always in the kitchen and lately...not so much. And don't even get me started on the fact that I have yet to see the inside of our fitness room so my plans to lose weight are thus far...not happening. I'm overall super happy, but sometimes I just get overwhelmed by all of this. Ya know?
Thanks for listening :)
I haven't shared a mashed potato recipe on the blog in a little while and I''m gonna be honest about why:
It's not that I haven't made mashed potatoes. I have-a bunch. I just sort of make them, though, recipe-less.
But, due to the aforementioned stress, I was desperate for recipes for the blog and I have an herb garden that is overflowing. An herb garden which includes chives. You see where I'm going with this.
And, in case you didn't know, you can absolutely use scallions/green onions in place of the chives. I feel like they're generally pretty interchangeable (except I think chives flavor might be a smidge more subtle).
Anyway, this recipe is super simple and really one of my most favoritest things. You'll end up with creamy, super flavorful and delicious mashed potatoes! Serve them with pot roast, chicken, pork....or....ya know...just in a bowl. And call it dinner.
...not that I do that or anything.
Cheesy Chive Mashed Potatoes
Author: Kayle, "The Cooking Actress"
- 3 lbs. potatoes (russet, red, and golden potatoes will all work) scrubbed and peeled (you can leave little bits of skin on if desired)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup (or 3 oz.) shredded/grated cheese (cheddar, colby, monterey jack, or whatever you prefer)
- 1 small bunch of chives (use your judgment), chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut prepared potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place in a large pot and just cover with cold water. Add salt. Bring to a boil over medium to high heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are very tender and start to fall apart when poked with a fork. Drain.
- While the potatoes cook combine chicken broth, milk, and butter in a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Microwave on high for about 1 minute, or until warm and the butter is melted (don't let it boil!)
- Return drained potatoes to pot and mash. Add in warmed mixture and, using a hand mixer, beat until creamy and fluffy. Add in cheese and mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chives. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired (I didn't need to).
- Garnish with more chives and a sprinkling of cheese. Serve! Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator.
Creamy and cheesy and perfect!