My picky eating is a much bigger problem in the savory food world than the sweet (I mean...we can all agree chocolate and sugar and butter are delicious, amirite?) So I get SO. GOSH. DARNED. EXCIIITED when I find a new dinner recipe! Like...sure....they're pretty much all variations on each other (chicken? check. garlic? check. some kind of cheese? check. A carb? CHECK) but....I mean...whatever...they're sort of different...
And ya know what's sort of dope (yeah. I just said dope. dealwithit!)? I used MY OWN, freshly grown, parsley to top this lasagna and for the pictures!! FRESH HERBS ARE THE BESTEST! (yes....I said the word dope and then I said "bestest". I'm a complex woman.)
my mom's mom's recipe and use it to this day.) and this chicken noodle casserole dish that was probably made every week or every other week growing up because I WAS OBSESSED with it. This dish is like those....but better. It's probably gonna be made a lot from now on. It doesn't even take long to make (especially if you use pre-cooked chicken)! *happy dance*
I know even my mom would like this recipe. And she's just as picky as me. It was funny, my cousin Megan asked me the other day "Do you eat like your mom or like normal people?" To which I replied, "Somewhere in between...." My mom got a bit offended and insisted she eats way more things than me-which used to be true. Now I'd say we're probably even. We both eat things the other won't, but for the most part we're both pretty basic. I, however, am much more open to new foods than my darling mother (I like to cite the dreaded incident where I made her my just chicken pot pie recipe and she PICKED OUT ALL THE SCALLIONS! Like....what?! She insisted she'd gag if she ate one, to which I told her the flavor was there regardless! Agh!) Anyway...yeah. She'd like this. I'm pretty, darrrrn, sure! In fact-I think I'll make it for her soon! Hooray for having that option!
I mean...I don't know what else to say. Garlicky sauce, cheese, noodles, chicken.
You obviously are gonna love it.
Garlic Parmesan Chicken Lasagna
Slightly adapted from Pinch of Yum
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp. minced garlic (4-5 cloves)
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 5 cups milk
- 10-15 no boil lasagna noodles
- 3 cups cooked, shredded, chicken (rotisserie adds great flavor, but you can also just bake/roast up some chicken)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese (I've also used mozzarella)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Optional-fresh herbs, such as parsley
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, stirring to avoid burning.
- Add flour, poultry seasoning, and salt. Whisk and cook or about 1 minute.
- Add milk, 1 cup at a time, stirring until slightly thickened before adding the next cup. Continue cooking until thickened, smooth, and simmering. Remove from heat.
- Grease a 9"x13" with nonstick cooking spray and preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with broken lasagna noodles (3-5), half of the shredded chicken, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup water (this helps cook the noodles), and 1 and 1/2 cups of the prepared sauce. Repeat this 1 time. Top with another layer of noodles, the final 1/3 cup water and 1 and 1/2 cups sauce, and the Swiss (or mozzarella) cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and cover the top with breadcrumbs. Bake 5-10 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
I baked this with love. For you!