Soooo remember that homemade Nutella we made Monday?
Well...then I put it in a pie.
A crazy addictive*, potentially dangerous pie.
That's right. Nutella crack pie.
*(people, don't do drugs. Just eat pie.)
Since I used the homemade Nutella, the hazelnut flavor really came through, but you can absolutely just use storebought. Whatever. You won't hurt my feelings.
This pie is traditionally served at room temperature (or even possibly slightly warm?), but I actually preferred it chilled (a rare thing for me). I thought it just really helped the flavors of the filling come through and still...that crust....*drool*.
He'll deny this, but when I tried to explain the pie to him Michael didn't seem to optimistic about it. Then he tried it. And loved it. Duh. Who wouldn't?
Nutella Crack Pie
Slightly adapted from Butter Baking
Makes two 9" or 10" pie pans/tins (can be halved)Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup (110g or 8 tbsp.) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Oatmeal cookie, crumbled
- 1/4 cup (55g or 4 tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup minus 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup Nutella/homemade nutella
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy. Beat in the egg. Stir in flour, baking powder and soda, and salt until just combined. Mix in oats.
- Spread dough evenly in a thin layer on the parchment paper (even more thin than pictured above) and bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool completely, then finely crumble.
- Grease the pie pan(s).
- In a stand mixer, food processor, or by hand combine the crumbled cookie with the melted butter, brown sugar, and salt (you'll want very small crumb pieces, I recommend using your food processor.)
- Divide the crust evenly between the pie pan(s). Press down into the base and sides, forming an even layer of cookie crust. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the sugars with the salt.
- Whisk Nutella, heavy cream, and vanilla into the rest. Then, gently whisk in the egg yolks.
- Divide the filling between the pie crusts.
- Bake the pies for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes-ish, until golden brown and the filling is slightly wobbly.
- Let cool completely, then cut.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Gooey goodness, sweet scrumptiousness, Nutella numminess.
To put it simply: crack.