Ok people....these are (possibly) like...the best mashed potatoes I've ever made.
I attribute part of this to the large quantity of cheese.
And my beloved scallions.
And for some reason, I find, when things are baked (baked mac n cheese, for example)-I tend to like them more. Plus, it makes this recipe perfect for entertaining! You can just whip everything up, put it in the casserole dish, then wait to bake it when/where your event is! Everybody wins! In fact, I'm planning on making this again for Easter.
Just imagine digging into this: you break past an irresistible cheese crust and find your way to these incredibly luscious, creamy, cheesey, mashed potatoes. And then you eat. And eat. And eat.
Because what sane person could stop??
Super flavorful, without being over the top, these really are sure to be a hit with just about anyone.
Michael said that I could have even added more cheese.
But then again, I think he'd always feel that way. :P
Baked Cheddar and Scallion Mashed Potatoes
Adapted from Katie's Cucina's "Baked Cheddar and Chive Mashed Potatoes"
- 2 lbs. and 9.5 oz Russet potatoes (about 7), washed, peeled, and diced
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. chopped scallions or chives (feel free to use less)
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup whole milk (if using a lower/no fat milk, just combine with 1 tbsp. melted butter)
- Add peeled and chopped potatoes to a large pot, filling with cold water until it just covers. Add the 1 tbsp. salt to the water and bring to a boil (reduce heat if it begins to boil over), cooking until the potatoes are cooked through and fork tender (the time varies depending on your stovetop. It can be 15-30 minutes). Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Return the potatoes to the pot and add butter, 1 cup cheese, 1/4 cup scallions/chives, pepper, and milk. Use a hand mixer to beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spray a baking dish (at least 9 x 9, I used 7 x 11) with non-stick spray and smooth in the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese and 2 tbsp. scallions/chives on top.
- Bake 30 minutes until golden and bubbly. Cool, then serve!