A few months back my mom is talking to me on the phone, and she's all like:
"Oh, Kayle, I found this old recipe that your grandma use to make me and I've made it for Josh (my brother) a few times. I think you might like it. I just cook some canned shredded chicken, chicken broth, and cream of chicken soup together, then you spoon it on top of some Grands biscuits."
Me: "Yeah, that sounds pretty good. And I could make some homemade biscuits, and my homemade cream of chicken soup recipe, and just roast and shred some chicken."
Mom: "Oh, Kayle. That is so much work, it's unnecessary. Really, it's fine."
Me: "Yeah...no. I'll probably make it my way. It's not that much work, really. It's much easier than you think!"
Sorry, mom! I did try it her way, first, when I was visiting home back in June and she made these for me. It was good. But...you know...if I can avoid the processed stuff...I will. I have made these like a bzillion times since then. If you see on my Something Saturdays posts that I've made my Simple Biscuits and Cream of Chicken Soup, that means I've been making these. Did you go and look? Yeah, I've made this a lot. Even without the shortcuts (ok...admittedly...I do use the canned chicken usually) this is SUCH a quick and easy dinner. And it's like RIDICULOUSLY delicious. I'm sort of in love with it. Perfect for if you're busy and need to put dinner on the table quick! In fact, if you want to be like my mom and do it the extra quick way, I won't even judge you.
I even put some veggies up in there to make it a real meal. You may notice veggies were not mentioned in that previously transcribed conversation with my mom. Here's a little more from that convo:
Mom: "The recipe calls for some veggies, but I just leave those out."
Me: "Yeah, I'll probably put some corn in there."
Mom: "Really? Hm. Ok."
Do you see where I come from? You guys, she acts like I am way too healthy. You don't even know. All of you who always shake your heads at me and chuckle, "Oh, that silly Kayle. Always eating so unhealthy, never having veggies, just lots of cookies." You just have no idea how far I've come. I was raised in a world where it was totally OK to eat a whole carton of Oreo's in one sitting. Where chips were practically considered lunch. And where dinner came out of a box. I'm not blaming my mom. I adore her. But...yes. I have come quite a long way.
That was a bit off track. I'm serious guys. Eat this for dinner. You will love me. And thank me. If you're a mom this recipe will probs become your best friend. Just sayin'.
Creamy Chicken on Biscuits
Adapted from my mom, who adapted it from my grandma (and I don't know where she got it)
- Biscuits (amount may vary)-homemade (or this recipe) or pre-made (my mom uses Pillsbury Grands)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup (or a double batch of homemade cream of chicken soup--make an extra thick batch of it, if you do. Just add some extra flour.)
- 12 oz. shredded chicken (canned, rotisserie, home roasted, your choice)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 tsp. "better than bouillon" chicken base dissolved in 1/2 cup water.
- Optional: vegetables (I use corn)
- Bake biscuits, according to directions.
- Combine cream of chicken and shredded chicken in a pot over medium-low heat.
- Microwave water & bouillon until dissolved. Pour into the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add vegetables (thawed if they were frozen), if using.
- Continue to stir on medium-low heat until thickened.
- Spoon desired amount over baked biscuits.
- EAT UP!
Om nom nom nom.