I know what you're thinking-these are the most beautiful photographs you've ever seen, right? Look at how yummy! This was a pleasant little surprise for me, my friends. I was going through my old recipe box (from my pre-food blogging addition days) and saw this recipe for "Chocolate Decadence" with no picture. So...I really wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. I just knew...hey, with a name like that-it couldn't be bad, right? I also decided to make it because I had on hand all the ingredients necessary. Right around this time, some strange thing called Hurricane Irene kept coming up. I ignored it and assumed it was no biggie. The day before Irene was gonna hit though, I started noticing "Hey....like...everyone's freaking out?". So then, I actually looked into it. And got concerned. Although I don't live in an evacuation zone (Astoria, I was right outside of it), it was apparently almost definite I'd be without power. So, I went to the grocery store and picked up as many non perishables as you know....were there. It was crowded and awful and I was not happy. Michael, meanwhile, told me to stop overreacting that we'd be fine. My mom, kept telling me all the things I needed to do because, "Kayle, there is no doubt about it, you are definitely going to be without power for days." Obviously I was, you know, conflicted. I decided to play it safe though. Anyway, Saturday arrived, I had nothing to do, and Irene wasn't going to hit until that night. So I thought "Hmm...well...if the power goes out...at least I'll have chocolate?" So I made this. And it was glorious. I realized, what with the whole no flour thing, this was what can also be referred to as a flourless chocolate cake, or a torte. Um, I love those things. I lucked out! It is almost velvety in texture, rich, fudgey, melts in your mouth, just goooood. It's best cold and refrigerated so-good thing-Irene affected us not at all. We didn't lose power or anything. But hey! At least we had this! I'd been waiting for the perfect time to share this with you guys because really...this is one of my favorite recipes, for sure, now. And now is the perfect time! Two of the blogs I read regularly (My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats) have a Holiday Recipe Exchange-and week one's theme is CHOCOLATE! Perfect! So, enjoy (and go to the link at the bottom of the post to find out more about the exchange) :)
Chocolate Decadence (Flourless Chocolate Torte)
- 12 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 4 (1 oz) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups butter/ melted (I know...but it's worth it)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 7 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10 inch. round pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Chop the chocolate squares and place in a bowl with the chocolate chips. Add melted butter. Heat 1 1/2 cups sugar and water in a saucepan until boiling, then pour over the chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl-whip eggs with remaining 1/4 cup sugar until foamy. Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into pan. Place pan on a cookie sheet and fill the sheet with water.
- Bake 40-50 minutes. Remove (be careful of the hot water!) and cool in the refrigerator for several hours (and it's honestly delicious cold so I'd just keep it in there. Michael preferred it even colder-frozen *eye roll*)
Are you kidding me? Just look at that rich, fudgey, chocolate goodness.
Come join the fun at the My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats Holiday Recipe Exchange sponsored by Scharffen Berger.