Sometimes inspiration hits you like a sledgehammer.
One day I was just on facebook, like I do, and I saw a girl I knew from high school posted a promo from a restaurant about how their "Mashed Potato Pizza is Back!" and I was just like "WHAAAAA??!"
And I knew I must make it.
What does this pizza consist of? Crust, mashed potato, cheese, topping.
Pizza is always the perfect dish because you can completely, 100%, make it according to your preference. I used whole wheat thin crust pizza crust, because I like it. You can use whatever suits your fancy-whether that be store-bought or your favorite recipe. You can also use regular, plain old mashed potatoes or jazzed up ones (like garlic mashed potatoes! Or ones with sour cream!)--and you can use fresh mashed potatoes or save on time by using leftover. Top it with your cheese of choice. And then whatever toppings make you happy-which for me are chives/scallions. For you it might be bacon. Who knows!?
Also, if you're extra special and get your hands on some STAR Grilling Cuisine Cooking Oil (with garlic!) it makes a tasty addition when brushed onto the pizza dough before baking. Just saying.
It's fall. Comfort food season. What's more comforting than pizza AND mashed potatoes?!Mashed Potato Pizza
Author: Kayle, "The Cooking Actress"
- Pizza crust dough (store-bought or your favorite homemade kind)
- Olive oil
- Mashed potatoes
- Cheese (shredded or sliced, whichever variety you prefer. I used a mix of cheddar and cojack)
- Toppings: chives, scallions, bacon bits, etc., to taste
- Prepare pizza stone or baking sheet. Prepare dough according to package/recipe directions, and preheat oven to the temperature specified for the crust.
- After the dough is rolled out and ready, brush with olive oil (and garlic powder, if desired).
- Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the pizza crust. Cover with a layer of cheese.
- Bake according to package/recipe directions.
- One fully baked, top pizza with desired options (in my case, chives).
- Let cool then slice and serve!
Life is not complete until you've eaten potatoes on pizza.