Hihihiiiii again, my lovely friends! Mmmmmm guess what? That's right-another guest post!! I really am SO grateful to all the ladies who have been helping me out-all these posts are making it so much easier for me to transition to my new home, driving, new work, wedding planning, etc.! Today's post is from the lovely Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake! Guys-CAN.SHE.BAKE! OMGEEEE! I wish she was my mom sometimes-partly for the thin genes (her blog name is not lying) and partly so she can make me all the goodies she feeds her actual kids! (sorry mom-I love you. I do. I just also love Liz.) There aren't enough words for the awesomeness, so really, all you have to do is gaze at the beautiful pictures and dream of the food. Then make it. Yes.
I am delighted to be guest posting for my adorable friend, Kayle today. She is a constant source of inspiration for me with her dreamy sweets and treats. We both obviously have that sweet tooth that needs continual feeding. While Kayle is busy unpacking, settling in her new locale and new house, AND wedding planning, I saved a yummy dessert to share with all you Cooking Actress fans. My hubby loves his lemon desserts, but gives lime the cold shoulder. Can you believe that??? I adore Key lime pie…with its tart and creamy filling in a sweet graham cracker crust. But I cannot make a whole pie for myself, can I? Nope, I'd never get my pants zipped if I did! I hosted book club last month and made these delectable Key Lime Pie Bars for my friends. Citrusy squares topped with a dollop of whipped cream and a slice of lime. SO darned tasty!!! Thank goodness I had guests to help me eat them. Key lime bars are such a cinch to make. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted buter and pat onto the bottom of a baking dish and pop in the oven till lightly browned. Mix egg yolks, lime zest, lime juice and sweetened condensed milk, pour over the crust and bake again till the filling is set. See? Easy as can be! I hope you'll give these babies a try.
Kayle, I hope you're getting settled and adjusted to your new home. I'm certain all your mixing bowls and measuring spoons have been unpacked and the baking will commence very soon. Thanks so much for welcoming me to your blog today. For those fans of The Cooking Actress who haven't visited my blog before, here are all my social media sites. Thanks so much! (Kayle here: GO FOLLOW LIZ! YOU'LL LOVE HER, I mean...you obviously already do. So go on and follow awayyyy!):
Key Lime Pie Bars
Recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake-inspired by Martha Stewart
Yield: 16 bars
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice (may use standard lime juice)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
- Whipped cream, Key lime slices, berries to garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 8 inch square baking pan with non-stick foil, if desired. Set aside.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter in small bowl. Press evenly onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes, then cool completely.
- Beat together egg yolks and zest on high speed till very thick, about 5 minutes. Add sweetened condensed milk and mix on low speed till combined, then increase speed and mix till thick, about 3 minutes. Add lime juice and mix on low till combined.
- Spread filling over crust and bake till filling is set, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting and garnishing with whipped cream, lime slices and/or berries.