But..guys...it's been SO COLD (I don't even wanna talk about the fact that another winter storm is happening today. I am OVER this winter). I need comforting, warm, food!
Michael loved this soup so much that he declared, "I'm kind of sad-everything you make from now on is just downhill, because this soup is THE PINNACLE."
I've already made it twice, and it was only a few weeks ago that I made it for the first time.
This soup is that person.
This soup is pretty darn easy to make-the only things that take time are chopping the veggies (gah I hate chopping) and cooking the chicken (but if you already have chicken or buy a rotisserie, hey, look, that's done!). It's chock full of veggies so I get all proud of myself for eating it. AND it is so lusciously creamy and cheesy and flavorful...it is just the perfect balance of all things. It could not be better. Not possible!
We ate the whole batch in about 2 days. So...brace yourselves. Maybe do a double batch. I dunno but, whoever you feed this soup to will become your new best friend. Use this power wisely.
Cheesy Chicken and Potato Chowder
Slightly adapted from The Comfort of Cooking
Makes 6-8 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups (about 2 medium) diced, peeled, potatoes
- 1 cup (2-3 medium) diced carrots
- 3/4 cup (2 medium) diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (skim is fine)
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- Optional- fresh parsley, to garnish
- In a 4 quart pot bring chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and add diced potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- In the meantime, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and stir until thickened.
- Reduce heat and add cheese, stir until fully melted.
- Stir cheese mixture and shredded chicken into the broth and veggies. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Serve, garnish with parsley if desired.
I ATE VEGETABLES!