- I don't eat a lot of soup. I like it, but not like A TON (with the exception of my grandma's chicken-endive AKA wedding soup. But I don't have the skills to make that yet. And also, this soup is a major exception. I think I'll be making it a lot.)
- Before this recipe, my homemade soup attempts did NOT work out. I made a couple atrociously bland soups that poor Michael had to choke down and they sort of scarred me and made me scared of making soup.
Like...let's just wrap our minds around this concept: Mashed Potato SOUP. I loooove mashed potatoes, AND I like pierogies, and with the addition of onions and cheese to this soup, it's also kind of pierogi-like.
It is a luscious, creamy, hearty soup (Michael said he could imagine Ivan Denisovich eating this. He really liked that book from Senior English...anyway...). It tastes like you're eating soup-y mashed potatoes BUT kicked up a notch by the nearly caramelized onions, and cheese--cheese makes all things better.
Mashed Potato Soup
Adapted from Katie's Cucina
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (fat free) evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk (0-2%)
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- salt, pepper, cheese, and parsley-to taste
- In a soup pot, over medium heat, melt butter and then add onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until golden (about 10 minutes).
- Add flour to onions and stir until combined.
- Stir in milks and cook for 1 minute.
- Add potatoes and mix in until they're completely broken up.
- Cook on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes until smooth and creamy. Season to taste.
- Serve in bowls and top with cheese and parsley.
Disclaimer-This post contains Affiliate links