Now, while I don't have the magical ability to summon up an instantaneous, effort free, breakfast....this recipe comes pretty close.
You pretty much just combine some ingredients in your favorite mug (yes...I made mine in a Disney princess mug and yes...I made Michael one in a Batman mug. I enjoy this about us. I think it's charming. sooo...yeah...) then you microwave for a few minutes and...that's it. You have coffee cake.
Now, on the real real...not my favorite. It was fine just...I dunno...I felt like the cake was a bit bland tasting. Not enough cinnamoooon! It was good though, especially considering it took like 5 minutes to make. I just prefer real coffee cake.
That said-Michael really enjoyed it and didn't see anything wrong with this simple little breakfast. And just imagine how much fun something like this would be if you have a bunch of girls waking up after a slumber party at your house! Or if you partied hard last night and need a quick easy breakfast. You know...just depends on your current life situation.
Or you could just be like me, a perky little Disney princess, waking up, singing with the birds, and then being like "ughhh but...doin' stuff?" and then remembering, "Oh hey! I can have a little coffee cake in my belly like..practically right now!" and then you run to the kitchen.
...and to be honest..if this is me we're talking about...and I'm running to the kitchen...
...I probably trip.
Coffee Cake in a Mug
Adapted from Pretty Prudent's "A Cup of Coffee Cake"
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 an egg (you can also omit the egg, or just make 2 mug cakes and divide 1 egg between the 2)
- 2 tbsp. sour cream or Greek yogurt
- A few droplets of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2-1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Get a microwave safe mug/cup and coat the inside with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Add butter to the bottom of the mug and soften in the microwave for 10-15 seconds (don't melt it).
- Stir in sugar with a fork until fluffy and creamy.
- Mix in egg, if using.
- Stir in sour cream/yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Finally, stir in the flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl crumble together the ingredients for the crumb topping, smooshing with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Put crumb topping on top of the cake batter in the mug.
- Microwave, on high, for 1 minute. Check and continue to microwave in 20 second intervals until it is full puffed up and cooked. It will be very hot.
- Cool a bit, then eat!
SO EASY. SO QUICK.
Even a non-morning person can make this ;)