...chocolate makes it go down easier.
Who am I? Why am I quoting The Princess Bride?
Let me 'splain.
No, there is too much. Let me sum up:
The Princess Bride is my absolute FAVORITE movie-OF ALL TIME. (If you are not familiar with it, you're going to be quite confused, as I will be quoting in frequently. My apologies.) I stumbled upon it one day when I was 14, was intrigued by the title, watched it-and I.WAS.HOOKED! I literally watched it approx. 5 times a day for 2 weeks (then I had to return it to the library...but my mom bought it for me shortly after because she was tired of my whining). And, I was delighted to find out once we started dating, it is Michael's favorite movie too! He (lucky duck) actually was raised with this movie, it's one of his family's favorites, as well. We own two copies-mine is the "Buttercup Edition" and his is the "20th Anniversary edition". PLUS-our wedding song (you know...for our first dance) is going to be "Storybook Love", which is the movie's theme (and also our ring-tones for each other).
The Princess Bride was severely underrated when it came out-but, obviously, has a HUGE cult following. It has everything! "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles..."
Romance: "This is true love-you think this happens every day?"
Drama: "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."
Comedy: "Stop that rhyming now, I mean it!" "Anybody want a peanut?"
I've actually posted these before, but when I saw this week's #SundaySupper was movie inspired recipes, I had to revisit! The amazing: Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size.
"What you do not smell is called Iocane powder. It is odorless, tasteless,dissolves instantly in liquid..."
These have "Iocane powder" dusted on them--AKA, powdered sugar. That's not enough of a theme though! What else can we do with brownies to bring in The Princess Bride?
"..what about the R.O.U.S.'s?"
"Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist."
Of course! BROWNIES of Unusual Size...because...you know...no one likes rats, but EVERYONE likes brownies! So that is what I did-and let me tell you, these were GREAT! Not only are the HUGE and pretty because of that "Iocane" dusting, but also they are so fudgey and dense and delicious. And, an added bonus, if you are not a "princess bride" and short on funds, this recipe is great because the only chocolate it uses is cocoa powder-none of that super expensive fancy chocolate. I advise that you immediately make these, grab your significant other, your best friend, or just your wonderful self, sit down and watch The Princess Bride while eating these huge, decadent, Iocane dusted, Brownies of Unusual Size.
Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size
- 10 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, cold
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Position rack in lower third of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F).
- Line bottom and sides of an 8 x 8 square baking pan with parchment paper or foil-with some overhang on opposite sides (for lifting later). Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Combine butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium, heatproof, bowl. Microwave 1 minute and 30 seconds on high power.
- Remove and stir until smooth. Let cool to warm.
- Stir in vanilla with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Add eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously after each egg.
- Add flour and stir until you can't see it-then mix vigorously 40 strokes. (Sorry about the redundancy by saying vigorously twice...no other word seemed to fit.)
- Spread evenly in the lined pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out slightly moist).
- Cool completely on a rack.
- Lift end and transfer brownies to a cutting surface. Cut into as many squares as you desire--in this case, UNUSUALLY LARGE SIZED squares.
- Dust with powdered sugar....oops....I mean...Iocane powder *wink* But really....don't. It "is among the most deadly poisons known to man." So unless you've spent years building up an immunity, like Westley, stick with the powdered sugar. I won't tell.
Miracle Michael: Bye Bye! Have fun making these brownies!
Kayle:...Think they'll be able to make them?
Miracle Michael: It would take a miracle.
But seriously, they're simple, and I hope you make these as often “As you wish”.
Coming soon to theatres...
(AKA go visit the rest of the #SundaySupper Movie Inspired Recipes!)
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) - Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It's Complicated) - That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- "Eat Me" Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) - The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) - The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) - Momma's Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) - Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) - Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) - Pies and Plots
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) - Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) - Pescetarian Journal
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) - Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) - Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) - I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) - Big Bear's Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) - From the Bookshelf
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) - girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) - Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) - Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) - My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) - Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) - Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) - Diabetic Foodie
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) - Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) - What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) - Juanita's Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) - Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) - Gourmet Drizzles
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) - The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) - Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS') (inspired by The Princess Bride) - The Cooking Actress
- Minny's Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) - Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) - Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) - No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney's Fantasia) - NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) - Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) - Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) - The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) - Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) - Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) - Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) - NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) - Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog