Ok. I know. I'm obsessed.
You've seen so many recipes with browned butter from me. But what can I say? It makes everything tastes so amazing! Extra buttery and just so...just...you know? Adding the wonderousness that is browned butter can only elevate everything to the next level-and that is exactly what has happened with this macaroni and cheese.
You brown the butter. You add flour and milk and cheeses to form a delicious roux (I think that's the word? Cheese sauce. It's essentially cheese sauce). You add it to your macaroni (or other noodles, whatever. I particularly like to use extra healthy noodles here, since the flavor of the sauce is so strong it helps mask anything I would maybe not love in the pasta if it were plain). Put some buttery cracker goodness on there. Bake/broil it up a bit and KAZAAM*! Delicious mac'n'cheese! I kinda wanna make some now. Food blogging makes you hungry-fact.
*Do you guys remember Kazaam? It had Shaq as a genie who like...rapped and acted ridiculous? Anyone? Did you love it even though you knew it was absolutely a train wreck? ME TOO! I'm pretty sure the only reason I ever knew anything about basketball was thanks to Kazaam and Space Jam. I was all "Oh yeah, I know who Shaquille O'Neal and Michael Jordan are. No big." But I digress. (You guys...I still have that movie! I know! Let's watch it! Buahahaaaa!)
Brown Butter Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 oz. macaroni (I like to use varieties of whole wheat/whole grain and even veggie kinds!)
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk (any kind will work-I always use skim)
- heaping 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (I use grated and that works fine too)
- heaping 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup buttery crackers, crushed
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 6 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Whisk constantly as it foams and then small brown flecks form (pictured above). Immediately whisk in flour.
- Add milk and continue to whisk over medium heat until smooth and thickened.
- Whisk in cheeses until smooth and not clumpy.
- Turn off heat. Pour cheese over cooked macaroni.
- Prepare a large casserole/baking dish (preferably tall & deep, but 9 x 13 will work) by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Pour macaroni and cheese in.
- Stir 2 tbsp. butter with the crackers. Sprinkle over the top of the mac'n'cheese.
- Bake on middle rack of your oven on broil for 5-8 minutes. If (like me) your broiler is below the oven, still bake it on the middle rack for 5-8 minutes, but then put it under the broiler for a couple minutes (keep a close eye).
That's the stuff!
Come join Mac and Cheese Mania at Rachel Cooks andNutmeg Nanny sponsored by Door to Door Organics and OXO – Win prizes