This is one of my favorites, and one of the easiest, of my recipe finds. A big problem with a lot of granola bars is that they are secretly full of crap and bad for you. These are wholesome, healthy, and suuuper yummy! I got extremely excited about eating these warm the first time I made these, but I ended up not being a fan (not to mention they were a little overcooked--I adjusted the cooking time the second time I made these, which will be the time you see in the recipe). But, once cooled, they are extremely good, and once made they are great to just wake up and eat a granola bar for a speedy breakfast. Another HUGE perk of these is that they only NEED 4 ingredients. I knew they would be healthier if I'd opt for certain add ins, but I also knew that I'm broke and that that would have to be saved for a later, more lucrative, period in my life (I did put the chocolate chips in, however, I am me after all). And, I always impress people when I tell them I made my own granola bars. So now you can impress people too!
Simple Peanut Butter Granola Bars
from How Sweet It Is
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts (chopped)
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey (or brown rice syrup)
- Optional add ins: chia seeds (2 tablespoons), chocolate chips (which I put in mine), wheat germ, flaxseed, dried fruit, seeds, other nuts.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl combine oats and peanuts (and possibly chia seeds). Add syrup/honey and mix to combine. Add melted peanut butter until moistened. Then put in possible add ins (for ex. chocolate chips)-may need to get in there with your hands to mix it all in. If the mixture is dry (mine was) add more honey/syrup and/or peanut butter 1 tablespoon at a time until moistened.
- Press mixture into a greased (non-stick cooking spray) 9x13 dish. Bake 15-20 minutes
I'll probably make some more of these soon, I needs me some tasty "granola" goodness :) And stay tuned, I've been cooking a lot lately so I've got a stockpile of recipes just waiting to be put on here! Have a Happy Memorial Day everybody!